Showing all 2 results
Lunaka Viognier Reserva , Valle Central, Chile 2021£8.99 Mix 12£9.99 list priceSave £1.00
Lunaka Pinot Noir Reserva, Aconcagua, Chile 2022£8.99 Mix 12£9.99 list priceSave £1.00
Tell me more about the wine regions in Chile
As we mentioned earlier, there are three main winemaking regions in Chile, each divided into a number of smaller sub-regions. Chile has such a diverse climate and geography that different grapes are grown in all of them, depending on the soil, temperature and other factors.
- Maipo: Maipo is viewed as one of the pivotal regions in the whole of the country, and in fact is often referred to as the Bordeaux of South America. It has a warm and dry climate, and grapes that flourish here include Merlot and Syrah.
- Rapel: This valley is sheltered from the elements by mountain ranges on both sides, and mainly red varieties of wine are grown here.
- Maule: One of the largest regions in Chile, this area has in the past been known for producing quantity rather than quality wines. Containing multitudes of terroirs, Maule traditionally grew a large amount of Pais – one of Chile’s most popular varieties throughout history. Producers in the area have been experimenting over the last two decades to bring different varieties of grape into the area.
What types of wine does Chile produce?
Chile is arguably most famous for Cabernet Sauvignon, of which it produces around 300 million litres per year. However, Chile has a variety of diverse grapes thanks to its unusual topography, making the diverse climate suitable for lots of grapes to flourish.
- Cabernet Sauvignon: Many Chilean red wines such as Cabernet Sauvignons have juicy, rich flavours such as plums and black cherries.
- Carmenere: Often mistaken for Merlot as it has a similar profile, this kind of wine is light in body and juicy, often with distinct flavour notes like pepper and cocoa.
- Pinot Noir: Pinot noirs from Chile boast floral aromas paired with a spicy, creamy finish.
- Chardonnay: Similar in taste to the Chardonnays of California, the Chilean versions are crisper and sharper due to the cool ocean breezes.
- Sauvignon Blanc: A very affordable white, Sauvignon Blanc from Chile often have peach or citrus flavours, very similar in style to Bordeaux counterparts.
The perfect partnership
Each wine is individual down to the last sip, and like wine, all of us are individuals with different tastes and flavour preferences. These are some delicious suggestions for food pairings with Chilean wine, if you don’t know where to start:
- Red: A Chilean Malbec or Syrah can work wonderfully with light meats such as pork.
- White: A dry white wine such as Sauvignon blanc would be delicious with light, fresh seafood dishes such as scallops or crab.
Impress at your next dinner party
So far, Chile remains one of the only winemaking countries that is free of the pest phylloxera which wreaked havoc on European vineyards in the late 1800s. These bugs are similar to aphids, and they end up deforming the roots and restricting the flow of nutrients and water to the vine. Chile has managed to avoid infestations of this pes, partly due to being a long and narrow country surrounded by mountains, desert and oceans.
What kind of Chilean wine does Fine Wines Direct UK offer?
We have curated a stunning variety of Chilean wines to cater to all tastes and palates. A red recommendation is our Lunaka Pinot Noir from Aconcagua Chile: a bright, vibrant red, full bodied with fresh berries on the nose. If Chilean white wine is more to your taste, sample our Lunaka Viognier Reserva from 2018. Slightly floral with some tropical fruit, it has a big textured body and a touch of charming bitterness. These beautiful, diverse wines are just a selection of our collection.
Why buy from Fine Wines Direct UK?
We stock wine that you won’t be able to find anywhere else in the UK. We work exclusively with vineyard owners and wine producers, building close working relationships and sourcing only the highest quality wines for our loyal customers. You’re in safe hands with us, there’s no better place to buy Chilean wine online.
Our team has over a century of experience between us in the wine industry, you could say we know our way around a vineyard. We want all our customers to be able to enjoy wines, no matter their budget, taste or dietary requirements, so we work hard to curate collections for all taste buds and price points. There’s no better place to buy Chilean wines online.
If you’d prefer advice in person, we would be more than happy to chat to you in our shop in Cardiff, where one of our friendly experts can find out more about your tastes and discuss what wine would suit you best. On top of our outstanding selection of wine from Chile, we also offer a fantastic array of German and Portuguese wines. We know how difficult it can be to choose when faced with such a diverse collection, which is why we offer mixed cases expertly curated by our knowledgeable team for your enjoyment. You’ll get to enjoy all sorts of wine, and discover new ones in the process.