Showing 1–48 of 81 results
- Bottle Size
- Harpers Wine Stars 2022
- Mixed Cases
- Popular Producers
- Wine Style
- Tim Atkins Rioja Special Report 2022
- Wine Type
- WSET Wine Course
La Casada Sangiovese, Rubicone, Italy 2021£6.29 Mix 12£6.99 list priceSave £0.70
La Casada Trebbiano, Rubicone, Italy 2020£6.29 Mix 12£6.99 list priceSave £0.70
Montepulciano d`Abruzzo Rosso DOC Caleo Abruzzo Italy 2020£7.19 Mix 12£7.99 list priceSave £0.80 Read more
Torres San Valentín, Catalunya, Spain 2020£8.09 Mix 12£8.99 list priceSave £0.90
El Supremo Malbec Mendoza 2020£8.09 Mix 12£8.99 list priceSave £0.90
Franschhoek Cellar ‘Baker Station’ Shiraz Western Cape South Africa 2020£8.99 Mix 12£9.99 list priceSave £1.00
Franschhoek Cellar ‘Stone Bridge’ Pinotage, Western Cape. South Africa 2019£8.99 Mix 12£9.99 list priceSave £1.00
Franschhoek Cellar ‘The Churchyard’ Cabernet Sauvignon Western Cape South Africa 2020£8.99 Mix 12£9.99 list priceSave £1.00
Franschhoek Cellar ‘The Old Museum’ Merlot, Western Cape, South Africa 2019£8.99 Mix 12£9.99 list priceSave £1.00
Franschhoek Cellar ‘Our Town Hall’ Unwooded Chardonnay Western Cape, South Africa 2021£8.99 Mix 12£9.99 list priceSave £1.00
Franschhoek Cellar ‘La Cotte Mill’ Chenin Blanc Western Cape, South Africa 2021£8.99 Mix 12£9.99 list priceSave £1.00
Franschhoek Cellar Statue de Femme Sauvignon Blanc ,South Africa 2022£8.99 Mix 12£9.99 list priceSave £1.00
Botter Primitivo Puglia, Italy 2021 ORGANIC£8.99 Mix 12£9.99 list priceSave £1.00
Botter Pinot Grigio, Delle Venezie DOC, Italy 2020 ORGANIC£8.99 Mix 12£9.99 list priceSave £1.00
Le Versant Viognier, Pays d’Oc France 2021£9.89 Mix 12£10.99 list priceSave £1.10
Marques De Caceres Blanco, Rioja, Spain 2021£9.89 Mix 12£10.99 list priceSave £1.10
Marques De Caceres Satinela Semi-Sweet Rioja Spain 2021£9.89 Mix 12£10.99 list priceSave £1.10
Marques De Caceres Rosado, Rioja, Spain 2020£9.89 Mix 12£10.99 list priceSave £1.10
Borgo Alato Prosecco Extra Dry Spumante Italy£9.89 Mix 12£10.99 list priceSave £1.10
Marques De Caceres Ecologico, Rioja, Spain 2020£9.89 Mix 12£10.99 list priceSave £1.10
Marques de Caceres Excellens Viura Rioja Blanco, Spain 2021£9.89 Mix 12£10.99 list priceSave £1.10
Marques De Caceres Excellens Rose, Rioja, Spain 2021£9.89 Mix 12£10.99 list priceSave £1.10
Villa Wolf Pinot Blanc, Pfalz, Germany 2020£10.79 Mix 12£11.99 list priceSave £1.20
Dr Loosen Riesling Estate, Mosel, Germany 2020£10.79 Mix 12£11.99 list priceSave £1.20
Marques De Caceres Crianza, Rioja, Spain 2017£10.79 Mix 12£11.99 list priceSave £1.20
Bodega Juan Carrau Tannat Uruguay 2018£7.99 Sale£11.99Save£4.00
ERA Organic Prosecco DOC£10.79 Mix 12£11.99 list priceSave £1.20
Malidain Muscadet “Sur lie” Le Demi-Boeuf, Loire, France 2020£10.79 Mix 12£11.99 list priceSave £1.20
Marques de Caceres Excellens Verdejo, Rueda, Spain 2021£10.79 Mix 12£11.99 list priceSave £1.20
Marques de Caceres Excellens Sauvignon Blanc, Rueda, Spain 2021£10.79 Mix 12£11.99 list priceSave £1.20
Boschendal Vin D`Or Late Harvest, Western Cape, South Africa 2019£10.79 Mix 12£11.99 list priceSave £1.20
Villa Wolf Pinot Noir, Pfalz, Germany 2019£11.69 Mix 12£12.99 list priceSave £1.30
Marques de Caceres Antea (Barrel-aged) White, Rioja, Spain 2021£11.69 Mix 12£12.99 list priceSave £1.30 Read more
Canals Canals Classic Rose Cava, Penedes, Spain NV£11.69 Mix 12£12.99 list priceSave £1.30
Canals Canals Classic Brut Cava, Penedes, Spain£11.69 Mix 12£12.99 list priceSave £1.30
Chianti Classico, DOCG Botter, Tuscany, Italy 2019£11.69 Mix 12£12.99 list priceSave £1.30
Domaine du Seuil Cadillac Cotes de Bordeaux France 2017£11.69 Mix 12£12.99 list priceSave £1.30
Marques de Caceres Excellens Crianza Cuvee Especial, Rioja, Spain 2018£11.69 Mix 12£12.99 list priceSave £1.30
Josh Scott Cavalier Green Ginger Wine New Zealand£11.69 Mix 12£12.99 list priceSave £1.30
Marqués de Riscal Verdejo, Rueda, Spain 2020£10.99 Sale£12.99Save£2.00
Allan Scott Pinot Gris Marlborough New Zealand 2022£12.59 Mix 12£13.99 list priceSave £1.40
Allan Scott Chardonnay, Marlborough, New Zealand 2020£12.59 Mix 12£13.99 list priceSave £1.40
Allan Scott Riesling Marlborough New Zealand 2021£12.59 Mix 12£13.99 list priceSave £1.40
Marques de Caceres Deusa Nai Albariño, Rias Baixas, Spain 2021£12.59 Mix 12£13.99 list priceSave £1.40
Allan Scott Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough New Zealand 2022£12.59 Mix 12£13.99 list priceSave £1.40
Allan Scott Pinot Noir Rose Marlborough New Zealand 2021£12.59 Mix 12£13.99 list priceSave £1.40
Adega Gran Vinum Esencia Divina Albarino, Rias Baixas Spain 2021£12.59 Mix 12£13.99 list priceSave £1.40
El Vinculo Crianza La Mancha Spain 2018£13.49 Mix 12£14.99 list priceSave £1.50
What makes a wine not veggie-friendly?
There are a number of different fining (filtering) methods winemakers use to clarify and stabilise wine, including using animal and fish extracts.
- Gelatin: Gelatin is a flavourless and colourless ingredient derived from cows or pigs (and occasionally other types of farm animals), it can be used in both red and white wines.
- Isinglass: Isinglass is made from fish bladders, and are commonly used for white and rose wines.
Even though the product used to fine the wine cannot be tasted in the end product, studies have reported that trace amounts can still be found in the wine.
So how do we make wine that’s veggie-friendly?
One of the ways to create veggie wine is to simply not filter it, letting it rest and separate naturally. This is a process that originated in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, and wine made like this is referred to as natural wine.
Another alternative is to use non-animal products. Unlike vegan wine, which can’t use any type of animal product or by-product, veggie wine can use them and still be suitable.
- Egg whites: These are commonly used in red wines to reduce the amount of harsh tannins in the wine, leaving behind the softer tasting tannins.
- Casein: Casein is a protein found in milk which can be used to remove bitterness in a variety of white wines.
- Pea or potato protein: Using these vegetable proteins is becoming an increasingly popular method of fining.
How can I check if the wine is suitable for non-meat eaters?
Any wine has the potential, it just depends on the choices made by the winemakers during the production process.
- Read the label: The first way to check if a wine has any animal derived products is to check the label. Many wines will have a symbol on them to show they are suitable for our herbivorous friends. However, labels do not always have to list if they’ve used animal-derived ingredients in the fining process so sometime you’ll need to look a little deeper – wine producers will often list their fining processes on their websites. At Fine Wines Direct UK our wines are always clearly labelled.
- Ask your local wine expert: When dining out, any wine expert worth their salt will know in depth about the wines they are serving you, and will be able to recommend you a wine based on both your dietary requirements and your tastebuds. If you visit us at our shop in Cardiff, our experts will always be on hand to answer any questions you might have.
- Get technical: There are so many resources out there for people with dietary requirements, including apps and databases. Many compile the most popular brands, so you’ll get familiar with which producers make the wine that delights you.
Can you age this kind of wine?
Many types of veggie wine can be aged just as well as others. The one thing you need to look out for is if your bottle is preservative free, as these wines typically don’t age well.
The perfect pairing
If you don’t eat animals you might feel like you’re forgotten about when it comes to wine pairings, suggestions ranging from red meats, to fish and chicken based dishes. If you’ve come searching for veggie wine and you’d also like a meat-free dish to work with it, we’ve got you covered.
- White: Crisp, dry white wines work beautifully with creamy, pasta-based dishes.
- Red: Red wines taste delicious when combined with smoky, barbecue dishes such as grilled tofu or vegetables.
- Sparkling: Vegetarian prosecco drinkers will know that prosecco is a perfect party drink, as an aperitif or with small, savoury treats such as frittatas and quiches.
As with any wine pairing, the things to consider are the basic wine characteristics: acidity, sweetness, body, tannin and alcohol content. Experiment with different pairings and find what works for you and your palate.
What kind of veggie wine does Fine Wines Direct UK offer?
We work hard to find stunning wines that cater to all palates and dietary requirements. Our vegetarian selection includes wines from the world’s most renowned wine-making regions such as Rioja, Sicily and Marlborough to name just a few.
If you’re after a delectable red wine, why not try our Franschhoek Cellar ‘Baker Station’ Shiraz? With deep ruby notes of mulberry and plum and soft, ripe tannins, this award-winning wine complements mature cheddar and other hard cheeses. If white wine is more to your taste, our Torres San Valentín from Catalonia is a delightful off-dry white which brings out the wine’s floral aromas and a ripe, fruity character. These beautiful, diverse wines are just a selection of our elegant collection.
Why buy from Fine Wines Direct UK?
With over 100 years of experience between us in the wine industry, you could say we know our way around a wine cellar. We want all our customers to be able to enjoy wines, no matter their budget, taste or dietary requirements.
A huge variety of wines we stock you won’t be able to find anywhere else in the UK. We work exclusively with vineyard owners and wine producers, building close working relationships and sourcing only the highest quality products. You’re in safe hands with us, there’s no better place to buy vegetarian wine online.
If you’d prefer a face to face chat with one of our friendly experts, we would love to see you in our shop in Cardiff where we can discuss what wine would suit you best.
On top of our outstanding veggie wine selection, we also offer a fantastic array of biodynamic and organic wines. We know how difficult it can be to choose when faced with such a diverse collection, which is why we also offer mixed cases. Our experts can curate the perfect range to suit your tastes, and you’ll discover new and exciting wines in the process.